4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs

2 posters

Go down

Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs Empty Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs

Post by Wiser Time Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:47 am

"I'd rather lose 51-0 than lose like this," lamented Jaguars QB Luke McCown as he trudged off the muddy turf at the Gator Bowl Alltel Stadium EverBank Field on Tuesday night. "OK, that's not true, because losing 51-0 sucks pretty bad too. Shit, I don't know what kind of loss is worse than this. All I know is that I'm pissed."

The Jaguars played perhaps their best game of the season yet still lost, this time 37-31 in overtime to the Buccaneers in a wildly entertaining game featuring plenty of big plays and unexpected heroes. Many of the 31,910 fans who showed up in the rain actually enjoyed themselves, although huge banners of "FOR GOD'S SAKE GRISHAM, SELL THIS TEAM" were seen throughout the stadium. Every time one of owner/GM/coach Grisham's hired goons tore a banner down and beat the hangers to within an inch of their lives, two more would pop up.

On the positive side, the Jaguars offense showed signs of life, with Maurice Jones Drew gaining over 160 combined yards and scoring a couple of touchdowns, and new starting QB Luke McCown demonstrated actual football skills, throwing for a couple of touchdowns and over 200 yards. On the negative side, the Jags' D continued to implode at the worst times; had they been able to make one or two tops, the Jaguars would have soared to their first win of the season. Instead, they're 0-8.

The game was back and forth, with the teams trading scores and leads the entire game. Late in the fourth quarter, the Jaguars had the ball with the game tied around midfield, when McCown tossed his only interception of the day, a pick six to J. Lacey, in what should have sealed the game for Tampa. However, McCown redeemed himself by hitting Mike Thomas on an 70ish-yard touchdown pass with 23 seconds left in the game to tie it and send it into overtime.

Unfortunately for Jacksonville, they never touched the ball in extra time, as Tampa methodically went down the field and won the game on Josh "Bill Simmons Loves Me" Freeman's QB sneak to win the game and crush Jacksonville's spirit.

"This was the best game we've played all year," said Grisham in the locker room afterwards. "And obviously it still isn't good enough to win. So I guess I'm just screwed." He popped open a beer, cursed David Garrard (no longer with the team and forced to watch the game from a port-a-potty in the stadium parking lot), and buried his head in his hands.

Last edited by Wiser Time on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs Empty Re: Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs

Post by Katbot Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 am

This is just like following the 2007 Dolphins. It's obvious the Jags are finally going to break through against someone, but whom?

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs Empty Re: Week 9: Jaguars snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lose in OT to Bucccccs

Post by Wiser Time Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 am

Oh how I hope you are right, Kat!!!
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum