4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21

5 posters

Go down

Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21 Empty Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21

Post by Wiser Time Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

They were thoroughly outplayed, to the tune of 23 minutes T.O.P. to just 9, and an almost-doubling of total yards (351-179). They were inept at their strongest position, as the enigmatic Maurice Jones-Drew gained only 29 yards on a meager 9 carries. Yet, because of one key statistic (a plus-3 in turnovers) and one clutch kick, the Jacksonville Jaguars won their second game of the season, a 24-21 victory over the Steelers in one of the greatest upsets in 4th String NFL history.

“I can’t explain it, other than everyone knows turnovers can make a terrible game plan and hideous offensive execution look great in the end,” said sweaty, dumbfounded Jags owner/GM/coach Rich Grisham. “All I know is I’m glad I didn’t have a headset on during this game, because I have a feeling the Steelers’ coaching staff said some pretty nasty things about my momma.”

Every major upset has a few key plays, and this one was no exception. Trailing 13-7 in the fourth quarter and facing a second down at their own 7 yard line, Jacksonville QB Luke McCown hit Mike Sims-Walker in stride in a seam, and he turned it into a 93-yard TD pass to put the Jags up by a point. A few minutes later, rookie DT Scott Gottschalk had what will likely be the greatest moment of his career, catching a batted pass and rumbling 50 yards to the end zone to put Jacksonville up 21-13 at the 2 minute warning.

The Steelers methodically marched down the field to get a TD and a key 2-point conversion to tie the game at 21 with under a minute left, but McCown overcame his very mediocre game to that point to lead the Jags to a 4th down at the Pittsburgh 36-yard line with 14 second left. Josh Scobee looked at Grisham, said “I got this, coach”, and proceeded to nail a 46-yard kick in a 16-MPH wind down the middle of the uprights for a 24-21 lead with 10 seconds to go.

In true Jaguars fashion, Scobee then sent the kickoff out of bounds, giving the Steelers a little life at their 40, but a heave by Pittsburgh fell short, followed by a sack to close out the game, and Jacksonville had their second win of the season.

“There’s no way we deserved to win this game,” said Grisham as he carried Scobee on his shoulders into the locker room. “But sometimes the football gods look at you and say, what the hell, let’s let this jerk have his day in the sun.”
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21 Empty Re: Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21

Post by Katbot Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 am

Congrats on an awesome win, but please don't wear black unis during an away game again. The Steelers and Jags were almost impossible to distinguish from one another.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21 Empty Re: Week 12: "Any Given Sunday..." proven true again as Jaguars beat Steelers 24-21

Post by Wiser Time Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 am

Katbot wrote:Congrats on an awesome win, but please don't wear black unis during an away game again. The Steelers and Jags were almost impossible to distinguish from one another.

Yes, that was a bad decision that I didn't realize til kickoff. Won't happen again!
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 am

I had no clue who was winning, as I casually had it on while playing a game with my girlfriend. Two dark teams plus no visible score. Congrats on the epic, epic win, Rich!

And I've come to believe that not every play like the DT pick is cheap. It was a perfect storm kind of play, and you found a way to win.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiser Time Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks Mike. Definitely one for the ages; I have a feeling that I'll be on the other end of the stick one of these days when I need it! These things have a way of coming back at you.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy it. I didn't see it coming!
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 am

This makes me wish I beat the Bengals even more now. Sonofabitch.

Jags are now two games back from the Texans. I don't like the sound of this one bit, as much as I'm pulling for you, Rich.

Blegh, I better go play Madden.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 am

Awesome win - this is why 'we' play the game
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 am

Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by undersc_re Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 am

Wiser Time wrote:Yes, that was a bad decision that I didn't realize til kickoff.

Its the STEELERS!!! What other colour options do they have?
undersc_re
undersc_re

http://twitter.com/adam_hansen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 am

b1ooper wrote:
Wiser Time wrote:Yes, that was a bad decision that I didn't realize til kickoff.

Its the STEELERS!!! What other colour options do they have?

Do they have a yellow kit? Otherwise, one of you should have went all-white, if possible.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiser Time Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am

mikesuszek wrote: Do they have a yellow kit? Otherwise, one of you should have went all-white, if possible.

I should have gone all-white. As the visitor, that was my bad. As soon as the game kicked off I said "oh crap".
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down