4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35

5 posters

Go down

Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35 Empty Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35

Post by Katbot Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 am

I'm going to preface this account with a quick story, which most of you probably already know.

So around Christmas time, I started talked to Adam the Steelers own because I wanted his quarterback. I tracked him on Google chat to pester him, and as it happened we actually got to talking quite a bit. He was bummed after a 1-15 season, and was contemplating leaving the league if it happened again. That made me sad, so I volunteered to scrim with him and give him some tips. He improved incredibly quickly and started the next season 7-1. That experience is one reason I #LTL, as it were.

As you can imagine, we've been anticipating this match for quite some time. We've scrimmed enough that we both know each other's strategy inside and out, and I knew that it was going to be a battle. Honestly, he had me beat at the end there, but I somehow managed to come back and win. Here's how it went down.

We had our first game wiped out (I was about to go up by two scores, if you care), so we restarted. On the first drive, Jarmarcus made a bad throw on 3rd down and put it right in the hands of DRC, who almost took it back for the score. The Katskins immediately went up 7-0 and I figured I would be cruising.

Of course, that's not how it happened. On the next drive, Austin completed an absolutely stupid pass to Deon Butler (highlight below) for a touchdown in the corner. The drive after that, Big Ben threw the first of four picks, which was promptly taken back for a TD.

Let's fast forward now. It's 21-14, and Adam has marched down the field to the redzone. I get two stops, and on the third attempt Austin fumbles while trying to scramble. The Steelers recover from the pile and I'm disheartened to see that it's now 1st and Goal. Being the incredible that he is though, Adam graciously kicked the field goal to make it 24-14. That, my friends, is what this league is all about.

In the second half, it was 24-21, and I had shot at taking the lead. By this time though, Adam had started solve me and I was starting to have real problems getting the ball down the field. As they have all season though, my defense stepped up in the biggest way possible. There was a sack in there at one point, and Nealy got an awesome pick, all of which kept the Steelers from going up by two scores. Finally, I managed to break through and go up 28-27. The Steelers, of course, promptly responded by taking it all the way down the field on the next drive and scoring.

Aye carumba.

I'll be honest, I don't remember much of the 4th. I do know that I failed to convert on 4th down with about 3 minutes to go, giving Adam the ball back with a 35 - 28 lead (he had converted the two pointer). It ran all the way down to about the 2 minute mark, but another great defensive stand had him at fourth down and just outside of field goal range (it would have been about 56 yards). So rather than go for the field goal, Adam went for the first, and the Redskins defense once again held firm. The Poz played like the champ that he is, getting something like six tackles and a huge sack.

So now I had the ball back, and one last chance to tie it all up. This time, I was able to march all the way down the field, and with about 18 seconds left Big Ben put it in for his 5th TD of the game. And so I had a decision to make: go for OT, or win the game?

So here's my philosophy on OT: I hate it. Why risk giving the ball back to the other team when your guys have it on the goal line and can win it right there? Apart from there, I was honestly pretty tired after an hour and a half of Madden and I wanted to end the game right there. I went to my most trusted goal line play, and put it right in the hands of Crumpler to go up by one. And that was the final score; if Adam hadn't been a gentleman earlier, I would have lost by three.

So allow me to tip my hat to Adam, who is an incredibly cool dude and my best friend in this league. Even if it hadn't gone my way, I still think this would have been my favorite game that I've ever played in this league. Naturally, clinching the second seed made it even more satisfying.

Great game, Adam. It was pretty much everything I hope it would be.

Highlights:

Butler comes down with a ridiculous catch: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/77382058
Fred Davis snag a catch in traffic to get a TD: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/77382079

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35 Empty Re: Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35

Post by RealJeffSolo Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 am

Steelers K Aaron Pettrey and his 99 kicking power could be seen second guessing the coach on the sideline.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35 Empty Re: Redskins top Steelers in instant classic, 36-35

Post by undersc_re Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 am

61 yd fg
undersc_re
undersc_re

http://twitter.com/adam_hansen

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 am

Wow, I don't see 55 pass attempts in a game ever being topped. That's so many!
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by toddzuniga Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am

This is my love it for every week!

toddzuniga

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down