4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a new rule book

+7
keeks750
omgitsbabyseat
radioheadhead
mikesuszek
Goldenboy
Katbot
RealJeffSolo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Making a new rule book Empty Making a new rule book

Post by RealJeffSolo Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 pm

All, The SC is going to re-examine he current rule book and try to expand on it to avoid future confusion.

I am asking that if any aspect of this league personally does not fit with how you believe we should operate please let it be known here.

This is not a forum to express any opinion on current events or people. Please stick to the current topic only. Things you would like addressed in the next iteration of the rules.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Making a new rule book Empty Re: Making a new rule book

Post by Katbot Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Specific rule:

1. Running up the score on the CPU is not allowed. Restarting against the CPU is not allowed. Players should treat the CPU as a human player.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldenboy Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 pm

If both player are not available to play, sim the game and live with the consequences.

Goldenboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Goldenboy wrote:If both player are not available to play, sim the game and live with the consequences.

I think this is something worth debating in an entirely new thread. Heavy topic, and heavy air.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Also, if we need to finish the fourth season, we really going to need to be a bit stricter about our cutoff times. I know everyone is busy, but if you can't get your game in, then we'll all have to live with the consequences of it being simmed.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 am

*cough* *cough* this means even if you are travelling internationally and your disk is broken.....
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 am

Also, another rule. Play however you want to, as late in the game if your lead is less than 10. Running up the score really only applies if you are up by 2 scores in my opinion.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 am

You guys are missing the intent. Do not write rules. I was asking for things you want addressed.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 am

radioheadhead wrote:Also, another rule. Play however you want to, as late in the game if your lead is less than 10. Running up the score really only applies if you are up by 2 scores in my opinion.

Well hang on now. When I'm playing the Rams or the Cowboys, I definitely don't feel safe at two scores. Against those guys, I probably wouldn't start really grinding clock unless I was up three scores.

Now, if you're up by 30 in the 3rd quarter and you're still throwing, that's much more questionable. Up by 30 in the 4th and still throwing, that's definitely running up the score.

It can be tough to measure sometimes. I mean, there have been instances where I've been up by 21 late in the second quarter and I've rushed to get more insurance TD. That to me is saying, "I want to end any chances of a comeback." Then, when the 3rd quarter starts, I can start grinding clock.

Anyway, it's not always easy to tell when someone is running up the score. I guess it's one of those, "Know it when you see it" sort of things.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 am

Agree with you here Kat (What?! WHAT!!! Me and Kat agreeing? That never happens!). It's an opponent by opponent, case by case scenario. I think it's safe to say that the rule should include running up the score or intention to score more, especially through passing and intentionally stopping the clock.

Jeff - sorry, I'm not MAKING the rules, what I wrote was purely suggestion.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 am

I suggest we all play by THE GOLDEN RULE. Treat others how you'd want to be treated.

Let's not forget, we are all supposed to be playing in a "real" football mindset. Each person runs their team how they see fit and the players matter, the attributes matter and with a great tool like LM, it makes it easier to care about the stats being accurate and seeing how your players/team stacks up against the competition.
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 am

Yeah, this is a really good point Babyseat. I had a match recently where the defense just kept sending the blitz, without keeping mcuh of a secondary backup. I ran CJ2K a bunch on outside runs (I varied the plays quit e bit though) very successfully and the D just kept running the same defensive sets. I usually would mix up my offense a lot more than this, but the defense was effectively pushing me to run outside plays.

Putting myself in the other persons shoes, I would have quickly seen that my defense wasn't working with the outside runs and altered my style, but he didn't. It wasn't my usual game, but I don't think it was cheesy play either. I know that my secondary is woeful, and teams will crush me (and have been) by throwing the ball against me. I can't stop it, I dominate against rushing plays, and so they keep throwing the ball. No complaints, exactly how I would play against my own team.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 am

Thanks, Chris. You're totally right, too.

I was also thinking:

- not only does running up the score/stats mess the stats up, it also affects how players progress in the offseason. Both the players on the CPU team and the User team. I think that is most concerning. Sim-to-sim coullllld work, but...

- on simmed games, you know that depth chart you've been toiling away at? Fuck it. The computer decides who should be playing and when and where. This also causes problems.

So it seems the best overall strategy to take this on would be to just have some integrity and respect for not only the other team and yourself, but for the greatest Madden football online league in the ever expanding universe.
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 am

Yes, and to build on Babyseat's downside to simmed games:

1. CPU v CPU games go for 60 minutes (more stat stuff ups)

and

2. As a result, CPU v CPU games result in many more injuries.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 am

omgitsbabyseat wrote:not only does running up the score/stats mess the stats up, it also affects how players progress in the offseason. Both the players on the CPU team and the User team. I think that is most concerning. Sim-to-sim coullllld work, but....

Actually, I've done some research into this, and from what I can tell progression is fixed.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 am

really? wow - so don't expect to see Kenarious "Auspicious" Fluellen start running the ball in the final 2 weeks?

Does this mean he's not as "Auspicious" as previously expected?
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 am

radioheadhead wrote:really? wow - so don't expect to see Kenarious "Auspicious" Fluellen start running the ball in the final 2 weeks?

Does this mean he's not as "Auspicious" as previously expected?

I really have no idea. I'm just pretty sure that every player has a fixed ceiling that they always reach before declining, and that stats won't impact it in any way, shape or form.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 am

Here's something: After a game, talking to your opponent is important. If they had a passing TD while up by 175 points in the first half, if the two of you can hammer your issues out and both reaffirm that you're in agreement, there simply is no problem.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by keeks750 Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 am

"I ran CJ2K a bunch on outside runs (I varied the plays
quit e bit though) very successfully and the D just kept running the
same defensive sets. I usually would mix up my offense a lot more than
this, but the defense was effectively pushing me to run outside plays."

I'm pretty sure your talking about our game. I found nothing cheap about you running cj to the outside. I like to think because it was so early for me that is why I never switched up my d. I kept blitzing a) because I love the blitz and b) you had a back up qb in I thought getting pressure would cause mistakes.

If a certain play keeps working I don't see why you can't keep using it just as long as your not running up the score.

keeks750

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 am

I was (am?) taking consideration into starting a new Online Franchise up - with a Fantasy draft.. and my first new rule would be no Player vs CPU games.. as has been suggested already in this thread.

If this cannot be seriously addressed to the agreement of the majority of those in the current league, I believe we should reconsider use of the My League Manager site.

I love the LM site, but if people are willing to put Stat whoring ahead of League Integrity, then LM proves itself as a hindrance to enjoyment of the League.

As far as playbook use goes, who is anyone to dictate how and when their opponent use their plays? If I keep running a Play Action Power-O because I know they bite on Play Action and Heath Miller is a safe set of hands as the primary receiver, I believe it's up to my opponent to wise up and defend against that.

I do, however, have major issues with running up the score when not required.. but being devil's advocate to my own point of view, I am pleasantly surprised that some here elected to dive or run out of bounds after a large pick six in the forth quarter - those people should be congratulated.

My point of view - hope it helps..
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PoopieDeLoopie Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Just so people know, there ARE broken plays in this game, and whole websites dedicated to finding them. Anyone who says you should be able to call whatever plays you want, should be forced to play a couple of online games outside of the league and then rethink their opinion.

Here's the short and sweet: Anyone who stat whores is a douche bag. Anyone who runs up the score when there is clearly no chance for the other team is a douche bag.

I don't agree with disallowing CPU games. There is a large separation in skill in this league and also a large separation in team attributes. Some people have way better teams but are way worse players and someone could easily just decide to force a simulation and win a game they shave no business winning.

Running up the score is a touchy subject. I say its open season first half. If you can put up 82 pts in the first half, then go for it, as long as you are 100% sure you are playing a fair game. 3rd is when you start pulling the break lever. Depending on the flow of a game though, a 27 point lead could still be winnable for the other team; just use good judgment folks. If you are up 27-0, its way different than being up 57-30. Its all about the flow of the game, and what your clock management can do. 40 second playclock per play, do the math when deciding if its fair to keep passing.

Anything else people debating?
PoopieDeLoopie
PoopieDeLoopie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 pm

PoopieDeLoopie wrote:Just so people know, there ARE broken plays in this game, and whole websites dedicated to finding them. Anyone who says you should be able to call whatever plays you want, should be forced to play a couple of online games outside of the league and then rethink their opinion

Are you going to give us a list and start banning specific plays/formations? Razz I'm pretty sure most of the people in this league aren't out looking for broken plays.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by PoopieDeLoopie Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Katbot wrote:
Are you going to give us a list and start banning specific plays/formations? Razz I'm pretty sure most of the people in this league aren't out looking for broken plays.

I hope no one is! I'm just informing people that such plays exist. Most broken plays require specific hot routes and/or manual motions before the play, I'm pretty sure; but some don't. Bottom line: play fair and no one has to worry.
PoopieDeLoopie
PoopieDeLoopie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 am

I encourage people to play with a microphone and a headset. Communication during the game can avoid silly stuff.
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Chairman7 wrote:I encourage people to play with a microphone and a headset. Communication during the game can avoid silly stuff.

I'm not capable of talking and playing well at the same time. I know others are in the same boat, so that could be asking a lot.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next