4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread of Misc. Madden Protips

3 posters

Go down

Thread of Misc. Madden Protips Empty Thread of Misc. Madden Protips

Post by Katbot Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 am

If you don't mind helping out your fellow owners, post some zen here.

Protip: Learn to read the difference between zone and man coverage and the plays that burn each. Depending on what zone you're facing, it's often possible to sneak wideouts behind the coverage and burn it accordingly. If they rely heavily on man coverage, out passes to running backs can be very hard to defend unless the other player is good at usering the free safety.

Personally, I had the hardest time with man coverage until I developed a few unbumpable plays and got better at reading the formations.

Admittedly, it's kind of weird to watch regular NFL games now.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Thread of Misc. Madden Protips Empty Re: Thread of Misc. Madden Protips

Post by mikesuszek Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 am

I like the idea of having protips here amongst leaguers. I also think it'd be nice to share strategy in the general games section, but we'll let that naturally happen.

It doesn't need to be locked to one thread, either. Let's help each other out in the name of competitive balance!

I'm learning to read coverage, but it's a whole different ballgame when you're trying to select coverage as a defense. I SUCK at that.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 am

mikesuszek wrote:I'm learning to read coverage, but it's a whole different ballgame when you're trying to select coverage as a defense. I SUCK at that.

Like I said, I'm not expert, but it's all situational.

2 Man Under: Two safeties in deep zones with man coverage underneath. Great base coverage, but can be eaten up by the tight end. Generally good for stopping the run.

Cover 1: Man coverage with free safety in deep zone that's good to use if you've got good corners. Can be burned by out passes to the running back.

Cover 2: Zone coverage that stops the short passing game. It's highly beatable if you stay in it for any amount of time, but the trick is to get your opponent thinking blitz, then go into Cover 2 and show blitz. If you do it right, they could throw an out pass right to your corner.

Cover 3: Good for stopping the deep pass.

Cover 4: Same

The rest of the plays are generally a mix of all out blitzes and zone blitzes that should only be used if you have a particular setup in mind (the key is to hit the gaps).

The real secret to playing good defense (outside of just being able to user the safety/linebacker)? Getting heat and making the other player nervous, at which point they'll start making mistakes. If you can't get heat with three or four rushers, then try audibling linebackers to the blitz and putting them through the gaps. Get someone feeling pressured and off-balance, and the picks will come.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiser Time Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 am

This is great stuff, Kat. One of my biggest problems is defense. I've got good players in a lot of positions but I fail to stop teams as often as I should. I know it's because I just don't call the right defenses a lot, and I also don't react well. There have been so many times this year when I've KNOWN a play was going to be a pass to a certain guy and I still couldn't stop it, or when I knew a screen was coming and couldn't defend it.

At least I got my first win tonight and my defense came through. But that was more luck than me doing much.
Wiser Time
Wiser Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down