4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride

+7
radioheadhead
ZgreenZ
SweetassWaffles
gregfood
kevlarAK
amoeBae
omgitsbabyseat
11 posters

Go down

Shittydouche play or Legit Fuck-Up?

The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Vote_lcap0%The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Vote_lcap100%The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 9

The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Empty The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 6:29 pm

There was a rather large debate over the Bengals v Broncos game on this weeks Weekly Thrillriiiiiide (Episode Thirasdfmasdghcn), so I looked to see if I had the video from that Brandon Stokley-like play on my 360, and by God, I did! Todd might not have seen the ref interference in the game, but I certainly did. So here's some clarification!

There was a pass to Cotton late in the 4th quarter with the score tied. Cotton managed to make it past some defenders and could have taken it in for the score, but I wanted to burn a couple more seconds off the clock (since we all know a couple seconds are precious as fuuuuuck). So, I started running along the goal line, with every intention of going in before going out of bounds. What happened was that I had three guys chasing me and wasn't giving up. When all of a sudden from the right, this huge body shows up, running awkwardly! I stutter, about to go into the endzone because I didn't want to get tackled when I realized it was a ref and tried to keep going. By this time, the Bronco's defensive players had caught up to me and tackled me before I could waste a couple more seconds.

Shitty play or legit fuck up? YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/77180404
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Empty Re: The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride

Post by amoeBae Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 pm

To__ is just being a sourpuss about it I think. Much like how he bemoaned in our matchup about not being able to cover Michael Lincoln a 78 ovr (Todd said 65 on the 'cast) when we all know he's got a lazy secondary.

I had a similar situation in the game against the Panthers (I swear write up is coming...) and I just scored immediately leaving him way too much time to score. Nothing wrong with trying to kill off some clock. When I was running in, I was thinking about downing the ball to run some more plays but the way things were going I just wanted to get the points. It's a situational call I would say. Douchey? Nah, not in the "fourth string gentlemen league behavior definition" but maybe in just a man what a douche he beat me that way type of saying haha. Guess my point is the word douche has two meanings now because of the league.

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride Empty Re: The Controversial Play From Weekly Thrillride

Post by kevlarAK Tue May 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I could not get it to load on my iPhone. I'll pull it up on my laptop, sounds interesting.
kevlarAK
kevlarAK

http://www.eskimopie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gregfood Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Like I said on the podcast, I'm OK with this play. You were mindful of the clock, just like any coach should be. Most impressive was that the ref got all the way down there to be a factor at all!

gregfood

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetassWaffles Tue May 31, 2011 6:50 pm

I think that everyone on the podcast (except Todd) agreed that this was a legit play. That ref needed to get the fuck out of the way, though. He's the real digital douch.

Todd was maybe being a little too over-sensitive about it. I know where he's coming from, though. When you're only OK at the actual game and you get beat by people who are obviously great at the game, you're kind of looking for excuses that have to do with "that guy was being a douch." Immediately after you play one of those kind of games, you think like that, but then when you take a step back, you can see that you were just overreacting.

I recently played a game where I was down by 21 with about a minute left in the first half. I hadn't gotten a first down all game and I was being dominated. The other team was driving on me again, and it looked like they might go up 28 - 0 at the half. But then I stopped them on 3rd and goal. So, I was like, OK, they'll kick a field goal. And then they did a fake field goal. I thought that was douchy as hell...and it probably was, but then, after the game, I vented a little bit. And now that I look back on it...it's only mildly douchy and it's slightly better than playing a random dick online who goes for it every first down...also, it's not like the dude I was playing roles out to the left or right and drops back like 20 yards to pass the ball every play...oh wait...HA!
SweetassWaffles
SweetassWaffles

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Just to clarify as well, I also put this up for Todd (and everyone else) to see that the refs are faster than Todd's defensive backs and obviously faster than the 6'4", 220lb, 97 SPD, 99 ACC Broderick Cotton as Greg has eluded to.

When can I draft one of these refs?
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 7:06 pm

That being said, FUCK BRANDON STOKLEY. That was a heartbreakaaaaaaa!
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by amoeBae Tue May 31, 2011 7:06 pm

omgitsbabyseat wrote:... When can I draft one of these refs?

When they turn 40.

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

SweetassWaffles wrote:I recently played a game where I was down by 21 with about a minute left in the first half. I hadn't gotten a first down all game and I was being dominated. The other team was driving on me again, and it looked like they might go up 28 - 0 at the half. But then I stopped them on 3rd and goal. So, I was like, OK, they'll kick a field goal. And then they did a fake field goal. I thought that was douchy as hell...and it probably was, but then, after the game, I vented a little bit. And now that I look back on it...it's only mildly douchy and it's slightly better than playing a random dick online who goes for it every first down...also, it's not like the dude I was playing roles out to the left or right and drops back like 20 yards to pass the ball every play...oh wait...HA!

Slightly better, huh? farao <--why??
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

By the way, here's the Brandon Stokley play. Week 1 of the 2009 season. The play after the Bengals almost had a crazy interception to seal the deal. The score was 7-6, Bengals. :28 left in the game.

**ANNOUNCING BY GUS JOHNSON, OF COURSE**

omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Tue May 31, 2011 7:16 pm

And HOLY SHIT!!! The ref did the same exact thing in real life!!!!!
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by ZgreenZ Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

SweetassWaffles wrote:
I recently played a game where I was down by 21 with about a minute left in the first half. I hadn't gotten a first down all game and I was being dominated. The other team was driving on me again, and it looked like they might go up 28 - 0 at the half. But then I stopped them on 3rd and goal. So, I was like, OK, they'll kick a field goal. And then they did a fake field goal. I thought that was douchy as hell...and it probably was, but then, after the game, I vented a little bit. And now that I look back on it...it's only mildly douchy and it's slightly better than playing a random dick online who goes for it every first down...also, it's not like the dude I was playing roles out to the left or right and drops back like 20 yards to pass the ball every play...oh wait...HA!

I will admit I did this.

The reason is that I do not let anything up in the first half, the ball was also on like, the 2 yard line, whenever it's that close, it's worth trying for the risky play for extra points, because if I don't get it, at least my opponent has terrible field position, I was running the enitre second half, even though it was into your defense over and over again.

And what's douchey about rolling out every play? (Wasn't every play.) Colt McCoy has shitty deep throw accuracy, but he's very good on the run and has above average speed for a QB, so I take advantage of that. Should I be angry that you always run Greene up the middle even though it takes no skill, but it works because he always falls forward five yards? /sarcasm.

Last edited by ZgreenZ on Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZgreenZ
ZgreenZ

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Tue May 31, 2011 7:36 pm

I recently played a game where I was down by 21 with about a minute left
in the first half. I hadn't gotten a first down all game and I was
being dominated. The other team was driving on me again, and it looked
like they might go up 28 - 0 at the half. But then I stopped them on
3rd and goal. So, I was like, OK, they'll kick a field goal. And then
they did a fake field goal. I thought that was douchy as hell...and it
probably was, but then, after the game, I vented a little bit. And now
that I look back on it...it's only mildly douchy and it's slightly
better than playing a random dick online who goes for it every first
down...also, it's not like the dude I was playing roles out to the left
or right and drops back like 20 yards to pass the ball every play...oh
wait...HA!

Ryan, this sort of behaviour should result in 2 things.

1 - Public Shaming
2 - The douchbag that did this to be booted from the league.

We are beyond this. I looked at your schedule Ryan, and I know exactly who did this, and it's a disgrace. You know who you are, get the fuck out of this league, and play online where your shit attitude is the norm. Our league, but more specifically, our league players deserves better.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by gregfood Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 pm

ZgreenZ wrote:
SweetassWaffles wrote:

I will admit I did this.

The reason is that I do not let anything up in the first half, the ball was also on like, the 2 yard line, whenever it's that close, it's worth trying for the risky play for extra points, because if I don't get it, at least my opponent has terrible field position, I was running the enitre second half, even though it was into your defense over and over again.

I think the big problem here is the way you went about scoring those extra points. It's one thing to actual go for it from the 2-yard line (the strategy you mention has its logic to it, although given the score as it stood, I'd argue against the need to do it). It's another to do it via a fake field goal. That's uncalled-for deception. If you decide to go for it, fine, but do so with a play that indicates to the other player that you are doing as much. But a fake FG on a play that 99% of the time is a field goal given the situation? Shady!

gregfood

Back to top Go down

Post by ZgreenZ Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm

gregfood wrote:
ZgreenZ wrote:
SweetassWaffles wrote:

I will admit I did this.

I think the big problem here is the way you went about scoring those extra points. It's one thing to actual go for it from the 2-yard line (the strategy you mention has its logic to it, although given the score as it stood, I'd argue against the need to do it). It's another to do it via a fake field goal. That's uncalled-for deception. If you decide to go for it, fine, but do so with a play that indicates to the other player that you are doing as much. But a fake FG on a play that 99% of the time is a field goal given the situation? Shady!

Doneskies with the fake field goal. Never running it again. Poor Seneca Wallace just lost his job. It just seemed like the best option because Ryan stuffed me three times in a row on running attempts.

If anyone cares, it was suggested to me by Ask Madden.
ZgreenZ
ZgreenZ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 pm

*sigh*

Do I have to lock another fucking thread?

Also, it DOES take skill to run up the middle, Zack. It takes zero skill to run pitches out to the side with a super-fast back.

...Or does it? I think it's a matter of interpretation. I've taken a 69 OVR HB to town over many defenses this season, but I sometimes get stuffed in the backfield. The key to a good running game for me is good blocking, just like in the real sport.

When I ran up the middle with Greene last season (BTW, you're an idiot if you think Shonn Greene suddenly became a golden god and a cheap player to use - not saying anyone in particular, but I swear I remember someone implying that this season), I based everything I did on sound football mechanics and strategy. Ryan is working on adopting that strategy with that particular HB. But hey, apparently he's playing cheap (I almost typed "sheep" there, by the way), and just doing things that take no skill.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ZgreenZ Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 pm

mikesuszek wrote:*sigh*

Also, it DOES take skill to run up the middle, Zack. It takes zero skill to run pitches out to the side with a super-fast back.

...Or does it? I think it's a matter of interpretation. I've taken a 69 OVR HB to town over many defenses this season, but I sometimes get stuffed in the backfield. The key to a good running game for me is good blocking, just like in the real sport.

When I ran up the middle with Greene last season (BTW, you're an idiot if you think Shonn Greene suddenly became a golden god and a cheap player to use - not saying anyone in particular, but I swear I remember someone implying that this season), I based everything I did on sound football mechanics and strategy. Ryan is working on adopting that strategy with that particular HB. But hey, apparently he's playing cheap (I almost typed "sheep" there, by the way), and just doing things that take no skill.

No no no. My point was that it isn't cheap. It's playing to the guy's strength. I guess I forgot a /casm tag.

Just trying to defend my usage of Colt McCoy. There are a lot of scrambling QB's in this league. Particularly in the AFC North, and I've never considered rolling out to be something cheap or unfair. When I drop really far back, it's a force of habit, because that's how I've just naturally always played madden, but I don't see how it gives be any advantage over anyone.
ZgreenZ
ZgreenZ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm

ZgreenZ wrote:
mikesuszek wrote:*sigh*

No no no. My point was that it isn't cheap. It's playing to the guy's strength. I guess I forgot a /casm tag.

Just trying to defend my usage of Colt McCoy. There are a lot of scrambling QB's in this league. Particularly in the AFC North, and I've never considered rolling out to be something cheap or unfair. When I drop really far back, it's a force of habit, because that's how I've just naturally always played madden, but I don't see how it gives be any advantage over anyone.

Ahh, understood. Yeah, I can see both sides of it. No one wants to step up into the pocket to take a sack.

Am I the only person that thinks your O-line always, ALWAYS sucks compared to the D-line? I feel like even the best offensive linemen in the game have a tendency to let guys through. I don't know, but I could understand the feeling of pressure adding to the habit of rolling out or dropping back 20 yds.

Either way, I think it keeps pointing to the flaws in Madden 11. I really hope they improve coverage and defensive AI in '12, like they're claiming to. Then just rolling out and waiting for your receiver to inevitably get open isn't as much of a sure-fire strategy.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dascenzo Tue May 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Todd's whining. Even though you didn't mean to do it, it seems like an acceptable strategy.
Dascenzo
Dascenzo

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 am

'Seat. If it's a legitimate tactic in real life, then it's a legitimate tactic in Madden (if it's in the game.... etc). Todd is just venting.

Sad to hear there's still douche play going on. I thought most of us were over this - my opinion has always been that I'd rather lose with dignity than win without.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by toddzuniga Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 am

I think it's fine, I guess, if you commit to it, and make the FG to win the game. But you let me catch up with you. Dive, let me tag you down, then kneel.

The issue to me is: making a FG in Madden 11 is a slam dunk. In real life, people would kill two seconds, and score.

Whatever. I was happy to lose. I could have won, but I clock-fucked myself when the tie was 4 yards away.

I like that your tactic pissed me off enough to go for two if I did tie it.

Regardless, I'm rooting for you/Ford/Suszek to win the SB!

toddzuniga

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down