4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Browns Banned from Playoffs.

+11
danvitale
SweetassWaffles
amoeBae
Commodoros
PoopieDeLoopie
radioheadhead
omgitsbabyseat
mikesuszek
Katbot
Goldenboy
toddzuniga
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Browns Banned from Playoffs.  Empty Browns Banned from Playoffs.

Post by toddzuniga Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Respond here.

toddzuniga

Back to top Go down

Browns Banned from Playoffs.  Empty Re: Browns Banned from Playoffs.

Post by Goldenboy Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Wow

Goldenboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Harsh.

I'd like to register my objection to having the Browns be represented by a CPU in the playoffs. Whomever plays the Browns will effectively get a free win, which is really not fair in the grand scheme of things. It's basically punishing the entire AFC.

I would like to propose a mini-tournament between the four teams that miss the playoffs with the highest records to represent the Browns (looking like the Lions, Redskins, Steelers and ... I forget). Get everyone together Sunday morning, have a quick two-hour tournament where everyone represents the online version of their team, and whoever comes out on top gets the honor of controlling the Browns in the playoffs. You can even call it the "First Four."

Regardless, I really don't think it's fair that the Browns will be controlled by the CPU, and I'm not even in the AFC

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Katbot wrote:Harsh.

I'd like to register my objection to having the Browns be represented by a CPU in the playoffs. Whomever plays the Browns will effectively get a free win, which is really not fair in the grand scheme of things. It's basically punishing the entire AFC.

I would like to propose a mini-tournament between the four teams that miss the playoffs with the highest records to represent the Browns (looking like the Lions, Redskins, Steelers and ... I forget). Get everyone together Sunday morning, have a quick two-hour tournament where everyone represents the online version of their team, and whoever comes out on top gets the honor of controlling the Browns in the playoffs. You can even call it the "First Four."

Regardless, I really don't think it's fair that the Browns will be controlled by the CPU, and I'm not even in the AFC

How about the notion that it isn't fair that a team gets to be in the playoffs that didn't earn it? I can see this both ways.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:23 pm

mikesuszek wrote:
Katbot wrote:
How about the notion that it isn't fair that a team gets to be in the playoffs that didn't earn it? I can see this both ways.

I think the tournament is where that player would "earn" it. It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's better than having the Browns represented by the CPU.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:28 pm

I think part of the point here is that the Browns, as a team, (assumedly) won't make it to the Super Bowl a la the USC bowl game ban.

This is harsh, but fair. It's unfortunate that one person must be used as an example, but that's life, right? And hopefully people will take the rules and spirit of the league seriously from now on so that it can be fun and awesome for everyone.

My only qualm is that I wanted another shot at Zack! Smile
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by toddzuniga Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 pm

If we were able to download our rosters, we'd have figured a way to deal with this, as well. But, again, no deal. Which, again, made the decision difficult.

toddzuniga

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Katbot wrote:
mikesuszek wrote:
Katbot wrote:

I think the tournament is where that player would "earn" it. It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's better than having the Browns represented by the CPU.

But that team didn't earn it in the regular season. What happens when I enter and win? Don't think anyone would be happy if a 6-9 (soon 7-9 possibly) team would get to control the #1 Browns. Nothing would be fair.

I think this is a "them's the breaks" situation. It's not ideal, but nothing about this was. The ideal situation is that it never would have happened.

CPU-controlled Browns is just how it'll be during these playoffs. But after all this, the league will be stronger, wiser, and we can move in a positive direction.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 pm

As part of the decision-making process, as well as a member of the AFC not making the playoffs, I am removing myself from any sort of playoff. I like my team, I live with my team (even the injured dudes) and I am happy to sit out of the playoffs because I didn't make it properly.

It would be very strange for somebody to take over the Browns for the playoffs and make a run. It that person was me, I would feel weird and bad about it, and it would kind of feel like I was sleeping with Zach's girlfriend while he's on a business trip.

I'm just saying.....
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by PoopieDeLoopie Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I suggest we should give the playoff spot to the Raiders owner. He deserves it the most out of everyone in the league.
PoopieDeLoopie
PoopieDeLoopie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 pm

toddzuniga wrote:If we were able to download our rosters, we'd have figured a way to deal with this, as well. But, again, no deal. Which, again, made the decision difficult.

Eh, like I said, not ideal, but better than having a CPU player in the playoffs and giving someone a free win.

I just like the First Four idea. If no one agrees though, then there's no point, I guess.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Commodoros Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 pm

As the Colts owner, a team that is in the playoffs, it lessens the accomplishment of whoever eventually goes to the Super Bowl from the AFC if the best team for the majority of the season is not part of that process. His suspension should be for the first half of next season. If after his CPU team goes 0-8, he can turn it around and make the playoffs then he will truly be a deserving champion next season. But don't let his douchey actions ruin the post-season for all the other AFC teams this season.

Commodoros

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Commodoros wrote:His suspension should be for the first half of next season.

That's a really long time. We're talking well more than a month.

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by amoeBae Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Harsh, yet fair in a gentlemanly way. Before in Madden 10 when the league and community was being established something like what the Browns did would of been a bootable offense. I'm not talking about just running up the score against a CPU game but now reading about Zach running passing plays with a 40 point lead...

I don't think the stats thing is as big of an offense and without league manager we wouldn't all be so hyper-aware of them to begin with. If it was the only CPU game of the season it'd be one thing but with several I don't know if it's as much of an issue.

The player suspensions for next season I find a creative interesting punishment to add on top of being unable to defend his Super Bowl title. Still sucks for the playoffs but something had to happen I guess? If the Super Bowl Champs are an AFC team you'll have an asterisk next to your record hah! But I really hope none of this has to happen again for anyone.

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetassWaffles Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 pm

I suggest we should give the playoff spot to the Raiders owner. He deserves it the most out of everyone in the league.

This would be like playing the CPU, except that the CPU would only pass to Zach Miller...which, let's face it: that's never a bad decision. Zach Miller is the balls.
SweetassWaffles
SweetassWaffles

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:34 am

I couldnt give a damn about the final outcome with regards to Zach - right now I want to know what is being done to bring Ken back into the league.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amoeBae Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:44 am

danvitale wrote:I couldnt give a damn about the final outcome with regards to Zach - right now I want to know what is being done to bring Ken back into the league.

QFT man, QFUCKINGFT

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

Post by Huhnerficker Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:21 am

danvitale wrote:I couldnt give a damn about the final outcome with regards to Zach - right now I want to know what is being done to bring Ken back into the league.

I do care about Zach also but think the punishments are interesting and fair. I do think a 4 game ban or something next season is better then booting him now though. More importantly I would like to know what we are doing to bring Ken back also. I think that should be a priority for us. Do we all send him flowers?
Huhnerficker
Huhnerficker

http://twitter.com/huhnerficker

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:48 am

Huhnerficker wrote:

I do care about Zach also but think the punishments are interesting and fair. I do think a 4 game ban or something next season is better then booting him now though. More importantly I would like to know what we are doing to bring Ken back also. I think that should be a priority for us. Do we all send him flowers?

If Ken wants to come back, he's always welcome back. But a lot of people have talked to him, and it seems that he's not happy with the way the league has went in some ways. The Ravens will be given to a new owner, preferably an actual Ravens fan, in the offseason.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Mike - FYI - there is a waiting list for the league slots on the old Wiki (why is that still used now?)

It would not be fair for anyone waiting if they were to miss out to the first person that replied to the tweet regarding the open slot that was sent out the other day.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:30 pm

amoeBae wrote:

QFT man, QFUCKINGFT

Being an old man I just had to look what QFT is.

Mike is right on both counts. I think the 98-point gate was just the lowest point in a series of incidents that have resulted in a general downward trend of the league.

I also think the league should be re-named 2nd string because its one-step away from being a full-on competitive madden league.

I envision a situation where debate about what constitutes abusing broken formations and plays dominate league discussion as teams try to get that competitive advantage through strategies that take it to the line and beyond. This is an extension of what is already happening.

I hope that this is managed fairly but given the combination of action and non-action on some earlier stuff and continued accusations (some of which aren't public) I don't think this can be the case despite the good intentions of some league members.

I have talked about this with folks like Kat and Mike and we just disagree. And we are allowed to.

So let me end the 'bring back Ken campaign' (especially before somebody says we don't want Ken back because that would crush me).

As for the penalty, I would have just stripped the draft picks and move on. But the SC was put in a difficult position having not acted on previous incidents. Now let me be clear - My decision would not change regardless of the penalty.

The crazy person in me would like to see the CPU controlled Browns make an epic Superbowl charge. I think that would be so awesome.
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 pm

My love of the week is Dr. Ken coming back 27 minutes after writing this.

And we thought Todd was spontateous! LOVE IT!
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Because it's a Madden league, it's never not going to be competitive. But I'd like to think that the worst teams in the league will grow and get better. Hell, I just went from 2-14 with zero wins against human opponents to 7-9. Adam (Steelers) is another growing team. Rich got two wins, and I expect him to only get better.

The fact is, the in-game competition is offset by our off-the-field generosity and love for one another. We do fake, BS trash talk at times, but I think we also pretty openly say we want the best for one another. I truly think that by trying to make everyone's game better, we'll only better the league. It's not that the competition is getting more fierce, it's that we're helping one another get better at the game of Madden.

And you know what? Being 4th String isn't about sucking, it's about being excellent and sportsmanlike. A 4th Stringer is just excited to be here. We'll take the win, but we're also going to shake your hand after the game. Even if we all get great at Madden, which will make every game exciting, we'll never lose that positive perspective.

And if it seems like we do, we just need a reminder that we're being dicks and then we can straighten things out.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dascenzo Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:42 am

If someone trades for Colt McCoy or Golden Tate are they still suspended?
Dascenzo
Dascenzo

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

danvitale wrote:Mike - FYI - there is a waiting list for the league slots on the old Wiki (why is that still used now?)

It would not be fair for anyone waiting if they were to miss out to the first person that replied to the tweet regarding the open slot that was sent out the other day.

The list is a go to thing. I have never thought of it as a first come first serve. We take the people we think are the best fit. Wouldn't you agree? We have just never had the luxury of multiple people on the list because of the series of exoduses we had had the last 2 seasons.

Also, THE WIKI IS GREAT! We cant do the same things here that we do there. Or at least we cant do them as easily. Look at the organization and tools. I am not going to make a forum post for the playoffs then go back a seasons worth of posts to find it.

For anyone who is not a wiki member, defiantly join.

http://4thstringleagues.pbworks.com/w/page/26466307/4thString-Main-Page
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next