4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chargers' Double Header Recap

3 posters

Go down

Chargers' Double Header Recap Empty Chargers' Double Header Recap

Post by amoeBae Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Coming off their bye, the Chargers played their week 11 and 12 games back to back in the last two days. Both were close games, but very different.

Ravens at Chargers was a defensive brawl. Both teams struggled offensively to get anything done. The Chargers scored first with a touchdown pass, 7-0 Bolts. In the second quarter Baltimore responded with a field goal then a touchdown pass by Schaub to Dickson to take the lead 7-10. With about two minutes left in the first half, Chargers' Ryan Matthews ran 10 yards for a touchdown. The score would be 14-10 at the half. Then the snooze fest began as TV audiences switched the channel to watch a PGA tournament instead.

No scoring in the third as both teams couldn't convert their 3rd downs (2/8 for Raves and 4/12 for the Chargers for the whole game). As the defensive stalemate continued on to the fourth, the Ravens showed a glimmer of hope for a come back win. With under three minutes left in the 4th, The Ravens were driving down the field well until the Chargers' defense held the Aussie Ravens to yet another third and short down. The Chargers coach was assuming the Ravens would go for it, however Coach Dr. Ken decided to play the smart strategy and went for a field goal with 2:38 left in the game. Since both teams basically were going three and out each possession, this would most likely leave the Ravens with the ball again. So instead of trying for an onside, the Ravens kicked it down field in hopes to force the Chargers to go three and out.

With just about two and a half minutes left, Ryan Matthews began to run efficiently for the first time all game to kill enough clock and force the Ravens to use up their timeouts. This lead to Rivers in his favorite V-formation to kill two minutes to end the game.

Chargers win 14-13 in a close, tough-fought-defense-bore-fest of a game.

Great game Ken, definitely one of the hardest games I've won, I really got lucky at the end to kill the clock after having such a terrible offense all game.

Next up, Bolts hosting the Denver Broncos. This divisional rival matchup has become a classic and was looking to be a good one. The Broncos were coming in to spoil the Chargers' playoff hopes. Both teams decided to use the To__ strategy. On the first drive of the game, Penis hit Lincoln for a 38 yard touchdown. Tebow answered back immediately with a touchdown pass himself to Talbert. Next Douchey hit Addison for another six. The first quarter ended, 14-7 Chargers.

The scoring craze didn't end, Rivers passed to Gates for another touchdown, 21-7 Bolts. The game looked over, so Rivers decided to order a hot dog and chips. However, Denver brought the game back by scoring two touchdowns in a row, 21-21. Rivers realized he needed to deep throat his hot dog and get back in the game. He went on to pass another TD pass to Lincoln, 28-21 Chargers with the two minute warning. On the ensuing kickoff, Chargers' "special" teams allowed Woods into the end zone with a 99 yard kickoff return. This gave Rivers one last possession in the first half. Rivers was able to get a quick six to Lincoln yet again. The score at half-time 35-28 Chargers.

The Broncos made some adjustments and looked strong in the 3rd quarter taking the lead by scoring a touchdown and a pick six, 35-42 Broncos. A pissed off Penis decided to go for broke and chucked it up in the air to Lincoln on a simple fly route. The rookie receiver torched the field for an 83 yard touchdown to tie the game, 42-42. The Chargers then held the Broncos to just a field goal on the next possession, 42-45 Denver.

Now in the 4th, the Charger's run game showed up. First with LeGarrette "punching faces" Blount with a 9 yard TD then Matthews with a 44 yard sprint, 56-45 Bolts. This left the Broncos with just under four minutes to score twice. Tebow "hot legs" Tribow moved the team down with ease eventually passing to Waiters for a 24 yard TD. Broncos then went on to try for two, but failed to convert. The score now, 56-51 with 2 minutes left.

Taking the a play from the Ravens, Coach Zuniga decided to kickoff to the Chargers instead of going for an onside. Denver looked to hold the Chargers. But on 3rd and 10, Penis connected with, now obvious favorite target of the game, Michael Lincoln for a clutch 10 yard pass for the 1st down and forcing the Broncos to use their last timeout. Rivers then said, "fuck this I need another hot dog. Yo Matthews run the ball!" Matthews went on to disappoint fantasy football players everywhere with his Brian Westbrook impression. What looked to be an easy 50+ yard touchdown run, Matthews pretended to trip then yelled back to Rivers, "Hey Penis, get on your knees to end the game." Rumors are afloat the Chargers' QB 1 will be getting a legal name change as he was seen driving away from the Q with his new car plates reading "P3N1S 17." When questioned at the press conference Rivers replied, "What? No, that's just stupid. I'd have to be a really big douche bag to do that." A reporter mumbled in the back, "Aren't you?" Rivers replied, "No more questions" and stormed off.

Chargers keep their Playoff hopes with this win, 56-51. Another fun game Todd, I always look forward to this matchup. Sorry for the long read since it was a double header recap. I was too lazy to write up the Ravens game yesterday so figure I'd just combine them up! #LTL

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

Chargers' Double Header Recap Empty Re: Chargers' Double Header Recap

Post by mikesuszek Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 pm

amoeBae wrote:...both teams couldn't convert their 3rd downs (2/8 for Raves and 4/12 for the Chargers for the whole game).

I'd like to request a name change. The Baltimore Raves. They all wear glowstick necklaces!
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Thu May 19, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks for the write up. I'd disagree that the game was a snooze it was one of the most intense games I have played. Both teams were desperate to get the big play to break the game apart but were continually foiled by great defensive plays or back luck. I'd emphasize this was for both teams.

There were some chances I could have taken. Maybe try and squeeze the ball to bush a few more times a risk an interception but it was not to be.

Still more comfortable playing defense.
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum