4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patriots Pull Off a Stunner

2 posters

Go down

Patriots Pull Off a Stunner Empty Patriots Pull Off a Stunner

Post by gregfood Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 am

Despite his second poor outing in a row after a fast start, Patriots' QB Tom Brady has maybe -- just maybe -- found some magic in that old arm of his. Following up last week's four-INT performance with another three picks this week, Brady threw his only two touchdowns when it counted: in the final two minutes of the 4th quarter, leading the Patriots to a 30-27 victory in front of the deliriously happy yet stunned fans in Gillette Stadium.

The Seahawks dominated the first half with a great mix of punishing runs and crisp catches up the middle, capitalizing on a late INT to go up 21-10 at the half and leading 21-13 after three. Old teammate Laurence Maroney enjoyed tearing up the Pats run defense to the tune of 82 yards on 20 carries. But the 4th quarter proved too much for Joe Flacco and Co.

Brady's first TD throw of the day came with 1:22 left in the game, but a missed two-point conversion left the score at 24-19. The Seahawks had no problem nabbing the attempted onside kick, which propelled them to another field goal with 1:01 remaining. Turned out that was plenty of time for the Pats. Brady connected with "Wiley" Wes Welker on consecutive huge passes, the second one a Brandon Stokley-esque deflected catch that turned into a spectacular TD.

This time, the Pats converted the two-point option, knotting the game with 31 seconds remaining. After completing a short pass and with time ticking away, the Seahawks decided to run the ball -- and promptly fumbled the pigskin with a mere 10 seconds remaining.

The Patriots fell on it and immediately kicked the deciding field goal. A lag-assisted kickoff, though, bounced out of bounds, setting the Seahawks up for a final shot at the end zone, but Flacco's final heave wasn't enough, and the 'Hawks were resigned to leaving dreary Foxborough and heading to equally dreary Seattle. And so it goes.

Even with their miraculous comeback, the Pats couldn't cover the spread. Brady could be heard muttering "Damn you, Dr. Ken," as he walked off the field in triumph.

gregfood

Back to top Go down

Patriots Pull Off a Stunner Empty Re: Patriots Pull Off a Stunner

Post by Chairman7 Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 am

I dont understand. The hawks were 3.5 favourites, the pats didnt cover because they won outright
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by gregfood Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Chairman7 wrote:I dont understand. The hawks were 3.5 favourites, the pats didnt cover because they won outright

Ah, you are correct. I read that line the wrong way. I guess I'm used to the Seattle (-3.5) over Patriots format. No harm!

gregfood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum