4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 2: How did your season go?

+11
Huhnerficker
keeks750
thegaradactyl
omgitsbabyseat
mikesuszek
RealJeffSolo
danvitale
Chairman7
radioheadhead
Dascenzo
Katbot
15 posters

Go down

Season 2: How did your season go? Empty Season 2: How did your season go?

Post by Katbot Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:25 pm

For you people who have just finished your seasons, rate your season on a scale of 1-5!

The Redskins!

Season 2: How did your season go? 2324598791

Overall: 3

Pros: Six Redskins in the Pro Bowl, including late addition Paul "The Poz" Posluszny (also Big Ben, DRC, Albert Haynesworth, Miles Austin and rookie J.D. Nealy); Miles Austin looks to be wide receiver of the year; solid wins over the division-winning Rams and Dolphins; improved by two wins over the previous season

Cons: Didn't make the playoffs, and I don't even have a first round to show for it =( Very tough losses to the Cowboys, Eagles and Seahawks, including one that came down to the final play.

Favorite Moments: DRC's spectacular interception over the head of Larry Fitzgerald in Week 2; Daily Show rumbling for 58 yards to seal the game against the Rams

Things I need to do Better: Get the ball to players other than Miles Austin; work on my power rushing attack; capitalizing on critical opportunities instead of fizzling out on offense

I had a golden opportunity to win the division and make the playoffs this season, but it didn't quite work out that way. Fair play to the Eagles and Cowboys for an outstanding season. Hope to see the NFC East representing in the Super Bowl once again guys!

So how did your season go?

Last edited by Katbot on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Season 2: How did your season go? Empty Re: Season 2: How did your season go?

Post by Dascenzo Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Middling to the very end.

Aaron Scott is going to be a star.

London Fletcher really made my defense better.

Some highly rated players may be on the way out as I just don't see them doing enough on the field.

Read into that what you will.
Dascenzo
Dascenzo

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:50 pm

The Tennessee "Torn MCL's" 99'ers/Titans

OVERALL
My season was a 2.8/5, a C-.
My record ended up as 7-9, but it was really 7-7, as 2 games were forfeited due to the Tennessee Stadium haveing sever power issues, post-flood.

PROS
My movements in the trade market made my team much, much better. I was able to offload a number of back-up guys for draft picks and somehow landed Jared Allen. Chris Johnson's dominance. Runnina ll over everybody. My defensive line and linebackers were amazing - Tulloch, Ivory and Weatherspoon combined for 128 tackles, despite being injured for a combined 7 games.

CONS
The injuries. Ouch. Vince Young, Jared Allen, Both my top SS's, my 1st choice DT, Jason Jones, Deshun Ivory, Kendall Weatherspoon, both of my top Kick Returners. The list goes on. It ruined my season, killing my in the second half of the season.

The embarrassing loss to the Texans. I talked, and I got shut up. Sure it wasn't my full team, and I have an excuse or two, but don't expect me to lose to the Texans next year, provided I have a professional QV playing instead of a window-cleaner.

THE HIGHLIGHT
The season ending was the thing that needed to happen for this Titans team. Stacked in the draft, injured for the year, 2 forced losses early in the season. It was all against the Titans this past year, and they are looking to turn their fortunes around, planning on winning at least 11 games next year (including one or two against the Colts).

Kat, great thread idea.

Big wins. Bengals, Dolphins, Saints and Steelers all accounted for.
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Katbot wrote:For you people who have just finished your seasons, rate your season on a scale of 1-5!

So how did your season go?

Typical game reviewer, desperate to boil down a season to a single number [sarcasm].

Anyway my season started as the bucs where I foolishly traded away Reggie Bush for DeMarcus Ware - effectively removing my entire offense. This resulted in a one and six start. The Gods though helped when the former Ravens owner was appointed as a District-Attorney or something and wasn't able to to continue.

Conveniently, from a statistical perspective the ravens team I inherited also had just one win. It was stacked however.

Bringing back Bush [insert inflammatory political statement] in return for a number one pick and Trevor Pryce was a move that was criticised - good grief people - but gave the Ravens yet an another offensive weapon. Injuries and experiments trying to get Ray Rice in the offence lead to a frustrating start but then clicked with a stretch of 6 wins in 7 games.

Over this season I have re-invented my approach, from conservative clock-killer to 'mad bomber'.

Best moment
Beating the titans after 45 points were scored in a final crazy quarter. The win over the browns a few weeks later may have been a better win but I really didn't enjoy it as much.

Worst on-field moment
Up 21 - 10 late in the 4th quarter, losing to the Texans. Conceding two KR returns and kneeling out, not realising that it would leave clock. This game ended any small chance I had to make the playoffs.

which brings me to this
Thing I need to do better
Close things out. Closing out in the 4th quarter, in the red-zone, and in the goal-line. Can't settle for FG. Need to learn how to turn the run & shoot into an offence that works in the goal-line as well as between the 20s. June Jones couldn't do it (early 90s NFL reference) - maybe I can?

Even week 17's game against the Bengals was a case of not being able to convert on opportunities

Strangest fact
Despite quiting twice & the difficulty in scheduling games down-under. I actually played more regular season games (17) than anybody else. I consider this to be my best achievement.

Most controversial moment
Rice-gate.

Scores w/ Bucs 1/5 w/ ravens 4/5
Chairman7
Chairman7

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Overall: 3

Pre-season expectations: I set an ambitious goal of going .500. Although my current record is 2-13, a lot of my losses were very close in context of the games played - I believe I could very well have at least five more wins - choke jobs such as losing 13-10 on the last play of the game to the Lions after being 10-0 going into the forth is one - on the other side gifts like Kat taking a kneel in the Endzone and Andre Roberts being one-shredded tackle 5 yards from the endzone from the resulting drive as time expired are two such examples. Having a better QB made the game more enjoyable, I had a little more confidence airing it out, and play-action was a strength. Later in the season my running game started to show form. Too little, too late though - but I strongly contend that the Cardinals are not a team representative of their current win/loss record.

Pros: My defence definitely surprised me this year - proving quite tough to break down - although my corners couldnt catch a cold..

Cons: way too many interceptions - and a lot of them went for pick 6s. Decision making on the offense on my part needs to improve - and use of the strategy pad will be adopted for season 3.

Favorite Moment: My defeat of the Rams, in which I played my best game of Madden ever was by far the best moment. A win that I worked very hard for.

Things I need to do Better: I have a glaring hole in one aspect of my team that I need to boost, so my approach to the off-season, draft and free agency will be critical - I need to be better at this compared to last year.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:56 am

Up and down year.

UP: Made the Playoffs. First round bye. No injuries heading into the playoffs.

Down: Running game was missing for 8 games. No comfort with my play book. No strategy for the offseason.

Favorite moment: Giants missing a FG, but me going off sides. Then him scoring, me driving down the field and scoring when time expired. Winning in OT.

Things I need to do Better: Being a good GM.

4/7.5 pizza slices.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:14 am

In general: 2/7 blueberry muffins
Compared to last season: 4/5 star-spangled stars

Prose: I set goals at the beginning of the season: 1) learn football strategy in a new and exciting way and apply it to Madden, and 2) specifically learn to run with a power back. With #2, I always felt that everyone goes after the agile, speedy backs, but I wanted a guy that could run over you, so I gave up (essentially) Arian Foster and a first round pick for Shonn Greene. I can confidently say I've accomplished both tasks and am only getting better, and Shonn Greene has everything to do with it.

Plus, I took a pretty terrible Texans defense and really whipped it up with acquisitions in guys like Cortland Finnegan, Aspha Savage, Brandon Hiller, Sam Shields (no, really), Will Smith, and DeMarcus Ware. I set another goal: by the end of the season be one of the best teams in terms of yards allowed. And while it doesn't mean much when you're 7-9, I accomplished that, too.

Kahns: Even when considering yards allowed, I don't play a great defense. We have a league of people that really know how to pass the ball in a game where defending the pass is pretty tough. So "going up top" has become the worst thing I hear nearly every game from Gus Johnson, because it's usually an indicator of a touchdown on the way for my opponent.

Shining moments: Winning my last three games against the Titans, Ravens (AKA: Tour of Australia), and then the Browns really sets me up for an optimistic season next... season. Plus, I won my last two games in epic, tense overtime fashion, the first where I took advantage of a far-too-generous Ken and Yamon Figurs' ability to take kickoffs back for touchdowns, and the second, well...

...Shonn Greene. I can point to him and say "there's my team," because he truly carries teams on his back with his 99 trucking rating.

Worst moments: Losing to the Colts twice really stunk, but I felt the pain in all of my losses. And when I had a two week period where I beat the Steelers, Skins, and Cowboys owners in scrimmage games and then lost my two league games, it was like pouring salt in an open wound. I have a tendency to take a few steps forward in my game, then numerous steps back. Over 3/4 of my interceptions are just plain bad decisions, and I sometimes just rush things. The fact is, ending 7-9 when I really found myself turning things around halfway through the season sucks, because I'm in a place where I now can start thinking playoffs. In the wild card, maybe.

What I need to improve: Defense, passing, personnel, play-calling. Stop trading away draft picks. Start pulling my weight in the 4th String crew.

Final thoughts: I love that I finally got this forum going, and that the league has truly become more connected. I love that I have a rival in AC, and have a few people to scrimmage with. I love that as much as I love football and the NFL, that if a lockout really keeps the real-life sport away next season I'll be somewhat okay because I have Madden and this league. And somehow, 7-9 is a HUGE PSYCHOLOGICAL BOOST for me.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Cincinnati Bengals

Season 2: How did your season go? Bengals1

In General: 0.80/1 Ray Rice Trades
Compared To Last Season: 3.5/5 Pat White Experiments

Pros: My defense stood strong, despite trading away my #1 cornerback, Leon Hall. After maintaining the #1 defense in the league for a majority of the season, I ended 2nd in total offensive yards allowed (allowing an average of just under 274 yards per game) and 2nd in Points Allowed (allowing an average of just under 19 points a game), rookies CB Reshard St. Saint and MLB Titus Ridder took the workload well.

The Pat White Experiment worked in some ways. Mainly that I was able to win 2 more games than last year with him at the helm. I'm not sure that was as much a product of his work as it was my defense and running game, but he was able to do enough to win.

I clinched the playoffs in Week 16, which is an upgrade from last year where a loss in Week 17 at the goal-line cost me the playoffs. I didn't think I was going to get anywhere this year (I expected maybe 4-12), and planned on grabbing a QB in this years draft, but after White got me where Palmer could not, I might hang on to him.

Cons: My offense has a lot of room for improvement. I have superstars on my team such as Ocho, Roddy White & Benson, but it's hard getting the ball to the receivers with a 69 OVR QB. My goal for Pat White was to at least have more TD's than INT's, and he finished 10/11, which is a bummer. Went 3-3 in the division.

Favorite Moments: Winning by one point in both Ravens matchups as well as one against the Steelers. Pat White being in the top 5 RB's of the year in Week One (didn't last very long). Obliterating Todd, 41-0 in Week 10.

Poopy Moments: Losing by 3 because of a late fumble in the RZ to the Browns. Losing by one to the Steelers early in the season.

What I Need To Improve: Passing, offensive play-calling, running...shit, my whole offense could use a HPB (Huge Psychological Boost). It also feels like I forgot about Pat White's mobility after the first couple of games. I need to quit using him as a pocket passer and rely on his strengths.

Final Thoughts: This year has seen some crazy things, both inside the Bengals organization and out of it in the league itself. From trade debacles to excessive point-scoring and stat-whoring, we've all learned a ton about ourselves and each other. I hope we can all make improvements and keep this thing going at full strength.

I feel like my schedule next year will be a lot tougher than this year, so I don't expect to do as well or even make the playoffs, so I'm going to try and make the most of it this year. At 11-5, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment. In a league/game that is so dominated and won in the passing game, I made a run to the playoffs with the lowest-rated starting QB in the league. I have lots to improve upon, but I feel like the Bengals are now MY TEAM. And that feeling is like nothing else.

#LTL cheers
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegaradactyl Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Lions-2

worst moment- shafted from the playoffs because of a computer played game.

pros- Aware of weekly extensions allowed so computer games aren't played.

cons- a lot

predictions- new owner for Lions next season and once again be the bottom feeders of the NFC North.

thegaradactyl

Back to top Go down

Post by keeks750 Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Wait does that mean no more garadactyl?

keeks750

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:45 pm

keeks750 wrote:Wait does that mean no more garadactyl?

It better not!
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

thegaradactyl wrote:Lions-2

worst moment- shafted from the playoffs because of a computer played game. .

Which CPU game was that?

And yeah, I know what it's like to be on the outside looking in. The NFC is one ridiculously difficult conference. If I'm right about your schedule for next season though, I think you have a very good chance of picking yourself up and being a strong contender.

Last edited by Katbot on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:03 pm

omgitsbabyseat wrote:
keeks750 wrote:Wait does that mean no more garadactyl?

It better not!

+1

dont go mate.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsbabyseat Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Katbot wrote:
thegaradactyl wrote:Lions-2

worst moment- shafted from the playoffs because of a computer played game. .

Which CPU game was that?

And yeah, I know what it's like to be on the outside looking in. The NFC is one ridiculously difficult conference. If I'm right about your schedule for next season though, I think you have a very good chance of picking yourself up and being a strong contender.

vs. the Saints.
omgitsbabyseat
omgitsbabyseat

Back to top Go down

Post by Katbot Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 pm

[quote="omgitsbabyseat"][quote="Katbot"]
thegaradactyl wrote:L

vs. the Saints.

That game was simmed?

That sucks =/

Katbot

Back to top Go down

Post by keeks750 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:19 pm

It wasn't simmed I played cpu. He wasn't available and said go ahead and play. If we knew we could just extend advance time we would have.

keeks750

Back to top Go down

Post by Huhnerficker Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Seattle Seahawks.
I give my season a 3/5 Bread Loaves

PROS - Obtained franchise quarterback and Drafted Rookie powerhouse DL. Played tough against every opponent except Zach.

Cons - Need another reciever but think I may have a plan. Running game could be stronger. Dropped passes kept me out of playoffs. Also as of right now I do not have a first round draft pick(used it to get Flacco).

I really loved my team as the season moved forward. I think my play style had to change and it took a few weeks to get used to it. Also I need to beat the teams I am supposed to beat. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

Now hurry up and finish the playoffs already.
Huhnerficker
Huhnerficker

http://twitter.com/huhnerficker

Back to top Go down

Post by undersc_re Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Steelers In Review

Overall 4/5 Sacajawea Golden Dollars

Pros: Increased win totals against human players by 9. Emerging play of rookie QB Jamarcus Austin. Getting to know many of the other owners of the league. Reported rapes down 5000% in the city of Pittsburgh this season.

Cons: Losing about 10 guys due to injuries over the course of the season. Playcalling issues causing a brutal offensive lull around midseason... Oh, and that whole finishing the season 2-6.

Notable Wins: Babyseats, the Ken Ravens, Rams, and Texans

I learned a lot about my team this season. Trying to not have any Steeler logos showing on my uniforms made the team much more palatable than my rookie season. Sitting on 2 first round picks for the upcoming draft and ready to continue to tune my team to my style of play.
undersc_re
undersc_re

http://twitter.com/adam_hansen

Back to top Go down

Season 2: How did your season go? Empty Oakland Raiders - The Pride of Puget Sound

Post by SweetassWaffles Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

Season 2: How did your season go? Prideo11

Overall: 4.5/10 - Loaded Al Davis Diapers (Official Currency of the Raiders Front Office)
Improvement from beginning of season: 8/10

After taking over the 0 - 4 Raiders a quarter of the way through the season, I finished 4 - 12 and I won every division game that I actually played. While my record is pretty pasty, towards the end of the season, I really felt like I got to know my team. Al Davis has nothing on me...other than about 50 or so years.

Pros: I learned how to play defense. Other than a handful of big plays, in my last 4 to 5 games I was really able to stop bitches on defense. My CBs are fast and they play great man coverage. I was able to blitz appropriately and get a good number of sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions. On offense, I threw only 2 picks in my last 3 games, which is way better than the 4 or 5 a game that I was throwing earlier in the season. I am feeling way better about my play selection and I am more comfortable throwing to Louis Murphy. Also, Zach Miller was the AFC Tight End of the Year...recognize Miller Time!!!

Cons: I still threw a ton of interceptions, my 3rd down efficiency is the antithesis of efficient and it's still really difficult for me to drive against teams with good defense. My record is towards the bottom 3rd of the league. My O-line is pretty mediocre. I still suck at playing zone D and I have a hard time passing into zone D.

Best memories: Annihilating the Broncos to send a message for next season. The week before I played the Broncos, I was able to shutout the Vikings until the last minute of the game. Also, I had a clutch last second field goal to beat the Chiefs...that was awesome. Even though I lost to the Packers, my favorite moment of the season was when I brought the game down to the final play and got stuffed at the 1 yard line while doing a fake field goal at the end. It sucked, but it was also so high drama, that it was actually a great memory.

Worst moments: Losing to the Jets early on was pretty bad because I threw so many picks and I just look back on the game and I think I am a lot better now. Against the Bills, I missed 2 field goals because it was so laggy and it made me not want to ever kick field goals in a game. I have since gotten used to lag, but it can be pretty crippling sometimes. The Browns blowing me out was pretty bad, but I feel like they are a much better team, and I think it is harder to lose to teams that I am more competitive with (Jets, Bills, Packers, etc.).

What I need to improve: I need to get better at converting on 3rd down. I need to pass to my WRs more and run more varied routs. I need to improve on my zone defense and on stopping slant routs up the middle. Above all else, I need to stay in the game if I am down by more than 1 TD and I need to keep mixing it up if I am down at the half.

Don't sleep on the Raiders next season...
SweetassWaffles
SweetassWaffles

Back to top Go down

Post by Huhnerficker Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 am

Very nice photo shop sir.
Huhnerficker
Huhnerficker

http://twitter.com/huhnerficker

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 am

Yep, the fact that Ryan chopped his face into that picture is amazing. The graininess, shadowing, balance and contrast is fantastic.
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Season 2: How did your season go? Empty Chargers

Post by amoeBae Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 am

San Diego Chargers

Season 2: How did your season go? Old-chargers-logo-lrg-20110323-223848

Overall - 2/5
The usual easy schedule of the AFC West paid off another visit to the playoffs for the Chargers. The unexpected bye week was a plus with the Broncos choking against the Raiders. However even coach Norv Turner had a gut feeling the playoffs would be tough even with home field advantage again. With only 1 loss in the regular season at home for the last two seasons, the Bolts ended another disappointing playoff "run" by never getting it going. Rivers blamed his poor performance at this year's divisional due to side-lined left tackle Marcus McNeill.

Pros
Spreading the offense more in the air and also attempting a run game. Last year's Pro-bowlers, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates did not see as much production this season. This was due to Rivers spreading the ball more this season trying a new playbook. A six week injury did not help Gate's production numbers either. Developing the young running backs was another goal and coach Turner commented he was happy with the way Ryan Matthews and LeGarrette Blount performed this season and regrets not using them more. "If only Blount would play with a bit more punching-in-the-face in his heart, I think the season could of gone better" Turner commented at the final press conference for the season. Despite the poor defense, the takeaways kept the Chargers alive for many games.

Cons
Defense, defense, defense. In a league with volatile player stability, GM Bae wanted to keep the team together for one more run. Fans are questioning the decision of ignoring filling the gaps and not making trades. Rumors are already floating massive changes may come to improve the leaky defense, but at what cost. Winning the division by default and not clinching it sooner. Next season, divison rivals, Denver will be stronger and a division title will be even harder to attain.

Favorite Moments
The game against the Green Bay Packers. I had a lot of close games this season but this one was a nail biter to the very end. Heart break loss for the Pack attack though with a missed extra point. The Madden gods were on my side for that game luckily.

Things I need to do Better
See cons.

amoeBae

Back to top Go down

Post by toddzuniga Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Denver Broncos: 4

I played all but one (or was it two?) games and played well enough to win enough. If we'd made the second seed, like men, I'd say 4.5, but we blew that.

Still, I feel like I turned a talent-strapped team into a juggernaut-ready club — just two spots to fill in the draft, and will hope injuries keep clear, and we'll be in a great position to win 10 or 11 games and the division.

toddzuniga

Back to top Go down

Post by radioheadhead Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:18 am

Pleased to see that I had to face 3 of the four teams in the Conference Finals.

Lost to Colts by a single point (2-pt Conversion... the bastard).
Beat the Bengalseats by 6
Lost to Falcons by 8.

Respectable.

Oh, and Kat didn't play a single team in the Conference Finals.... I'm just saying....
radioheadhead
radioheadhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum