4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.
4th String Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I suck at Madden 12 Part 2

+6
Bad Decisions
danvitale
amoeBae
SweetassWaffles
undersc_re
mikesuszek
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I suck at Madden 12 Part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: I suck at Madden 12 Part 2

Post by SweetassWaffles Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Let's not get all mad at eachother here. That's not the point of this. Actually, what is the point of this? We're not going to change anything that EA can/will do for 12. We know this. I think that we basically need to figure out how to make this game fun for the people that are actually going to stay in this league for 12.

I don't think that we can change your enjoyment level for 12, Dan. Suszek, it's hard to say if we will be able to help you...you're pretty open minded, but you are also a penisface, so I'm leaning towards "yes, but with penis-faced-like caveats."

We all know that the game isn't what it could be and that it has tons of flaws. I've posted videos showing safeties clipping through WRs. It's stupid, but EVERY game has moments like this if you hold them up to really tight scrutiny. An we play this shit out of this game, so we're going to see this shit more than most people. Also, this is a one-year cycle game, so the bugs are going to be even more prevalent. But, is it fun? To me, Madden is the game that I want to play more than any other game I have. This is all personal, subjective and anecdotal, but check it:

I love football more than any other sport. So, I will settle for a less-than-perfect football game. I'm having a great time with Madden 12 because I've had a ton of close games and I've developed strategies to use my team more effectively. Do I throw bullshit picks? Yes. Do I see glitchy shit? Yes, but it is so negligible to the overall fun that I'm having.

With FIFA and NBA 2K12, I've been hot and cold on these games. NBA 2K12 has this total bullshit logic where you will miss 90% of layups if a defender (arms out or not) is within 2 feet of you, but you will make 90% of your 3 point shots if you are open behind the 3 point line. The CPU makes everything. FIFA has this logic where it all-of-sudden thinks you want to pass to a dude that you would never "in a million years" want to pass to. Acutally, NBA 2K12 does that too. Are these games broken? No. Do I have fun when that shit happens? No. But if I practice and develop strategies to avoid or defeat that shitty programming logic, I could probably have a great time with those games. But the other bad part is that there is barely any community around those games, so I probably won't give a shit.

With Madden, we have a community and it sucks that it is slowly falling apart. Every time someone drops and writes a "this game sucks" email, it's really frustrating for people that enjoy the game. It is always after a game where that team played a better player and threw a ton of picks. Then, a bunch of people chime in and say "yeah, fuck this game." It makes the people that enjoy the game feel like they are the ones who are wrong. It's lame.

As a Seattle sports fan, I know what it feels like to watch games and see total bullshit (see Superbowl XL) and to see things happen that either shouldn't happen or should happen, but I wish they wouldn't. As a fan watching, there is nothing I can do about it but be upset. With Madden, if you're upset about losing and about throwing picks, change shit up! Kat has been on a losing streak, so she changed her playbook and decided to play online dicks with it. I have lost to Adam twice, so I totally changed up my strategy when I played him the other day. I beat him and it was great. He was probably pissed, but I guarantee that I won't be able to use that same strategy. This is what competition is about.

So, my main point that I haven't even stated is: If you love the community, but you hate the game right now, change shit up. Go into FA and do a "Pat White" experiment. Try a new playbook. Make a 4thSL cover. Do a ridiculous press release. Make it fun. I bet that if you try to do that, you will find yourself learning the mechanics and patterns better, so you will actually start playing better and having fun...or at least being fun. When my daughter doesn't like some kind of food, we start singing ridiculous songs and dancing around and making it fun to eat that food. She starts laughing and eating the food and doesn't realize that she didn't like it before. So, make shit fun.
SweetassWaffles
SweetassWaffles

Back to top Go down

Post by undersc_re Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 pm

danvitale wrote:I wasnt trying to be funny you prick.

I was going on about how we dont see the receivers pulling off the plays their ratings show they should.

But I guess I shouldn't criticise a game that you obviously love and I obviously hate.

Who the fuck am I to want to have a good game for the money I spent on it. I suppose everyone else in this community who didnt give it the perfect scores in their reviews are idiots too. Want to tell them how to do their job?

Come on... It is a little funny.

There is no such thing as a perfect video game. All of them (especially sports) have their flaws. Pointing out the flaws is a good thing, it gives us perspective and expectations. But sitting back and dwelling on these problems is just.... well... not fun? I hated Madden 11 by the end of it. Yet, if Madden 12 got delayed for the lockout for some reason. I would have signed right up for season 5. Its the community that makes this game great.

Sitting back and having huge email threads focusing on the problems (game or user) only diminishes the amount of fun for all. It sours the experience, and it just creates another crack in the foundation.

We have 2.5 more seasons (hopefully) of Madden 12. I'm planning on championing the fuck out of it. Its the game we have, I'll deal with that. The community of some great people and friends is why I will fight for the game.

(On Mike's encouragement I rethought out and reposted a previously deleted reply of mind)
undersc_re
undersc_re

http://twitter.com/adam_hansen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikesuszek Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:27 pm

TL;DR, Ryan. You dickbag. (I'm kidding, more good thoughts as always).

Like I said to Adam, before linking him to a sweet Ben Folds Five song, I'm wavering between pessimism and optimism.

One thing I can speak to is game reviewing and critique. You ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HAVE TO treat every game like an independent experience instead of being a cynical douchebag about features being promised and about iterations and all that mess.

The fact is, if you must look at the game as a series, Madden 12 IS STILL A BETTER GAME. Lest we forget the issues with 11 and why we'd never return to it? It was an *easier* game for everyone to exploit. It was essentially less frustrating, but a still bigger non-football game than 12.

Adam isn't wrong in saying that Madden 12 is more like the real NFL, but the defensive AI takes it overboard and still makes it enough not like one to frustrate us.

What I appreciate is having a conversation about how all of us can cope with it together. At least in 11, there were people that plateau'd and people that grew to become better players. I'm not feeling as much of that in 12, but maybe that's just me on the decline. Razz
mikesuszek
mikesuszek
Admin

http://4thstring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by danvitale Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Adam, I apologise for my previous reply.

I am intensely frustrated at the gap between what the game is, and what I believe it should be. I just dont think I want to invest more into this game to get to the point of cracking it. It's like playing Battlefield 3 for 50 hours just to get the best weapons. It's not fun getting there.

And, the F word - fun - recently this is more crucial to me than ever. Often I work 15 hour days, often I am away from my home days on end - when I do crack on the console the limited time I have has got to be fun to me.
danvitale
danvitale

http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Shredd Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am

Regarding a recent email thread, where I was complaining about the super human abilities of the AI on All-Pro, I went on to play the same opponent using the same players and same playbook, but on Pro.

So on All Pro, my WR was running a curl route, he faked the defender out totally and turned, the CB was 5 yards further down the field facing the wrong direction when I threw the ball, as soon as the ball left my hand the CB turned, and picked the ball and almost took it home for a Pick 6.

On Pro, I ended up 20/30 for 200 yards and no picks, on Curl Routes, the defenders sometimes tipped and also put on big hits on the WR's to make dropped passes, now it could of been down to the fact of trying to re-run a play more and more often, or just that was what would more than likely happen.

What I did notice between Pro and All Pro was the fact that LB's DON'T LEAP AS MUCH! It could just of been the AI D I was playing may of been more man than zone, but tipped passes was mostly Corners or Safeties stepping up and tipping. Also I was averaging more Yards per Carry on All Pro than Pro just in case people think, ahhh but Pro just lets you run riot with a decent RB, that was not from what my research into the game found. I also found Mike Wallace is fooking mental as a WR! WTF did the Steelers bloke let Adam have him, and I hope it was for more than a handful of magic beans!

Just my views folks on it. Maybe our last season in Madden 12 we take it down to Pro. If we want realism, Aaron Rodgers doesnt throw 6 picks in a game.... ever..... not even in a Pro Bowl
Judge Shredd
Judge Shredd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Decisions Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Reading that last post just reminded me of past discussions I've heard on podcasts about games being tuned to certain difficulties, like Halo being tuned to Heroic (I think that's the one).

You think we might be playing at a difficulty level the game was never balanced for, resulting in these weird warping DBs and leaping LBs everyone has encountered?

Bad Decisions

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Shredd Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 am

I did forget to add, playing as the Steelers vs Bronco's in an All-Pro difficulty level, I had a CB warp through Hines Ward to make the pick and take it to the house. I dont have a video camera or I would of filmed it. Even my phone wouldnt of been very clear, but I zoomed it, slow-da-funk-down-mowed it, and his right arm came through Hines Ward to make the catch and thus pick 6. Impossible.
Judge Shredd
Judge Shredd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Decisions Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 am

I just played my League game vs the Titans last night. My 90+ speed WR was being covered by a LB. He ran an Out Route and when he made the cut he created about 2 yds of separation. Now I threw it as he was making that cut and still creating the separation. The LB closed the gap in the time it took the ball to move from QB to WR, undercut the route and made a stretching pick that looked more akin to the WR than the WR. Wtf. No way a LB makes that kind of play that quickly when covering a faster WR. No. Way.

Bad Decisions

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Mikes video theory of an order of priority is completely on the money. The game I played last night I saw this and it all just clicked at once. Even taking control of the WR the game seems to disallow moving in front of the DB when its a placement thing.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Judge Shredd wrote:I did forget to add, playing as the Steelers vs Bronco's in an All-Pro difficulty level, I had a CB warp through Hines Ward to make the pick and take it to the house. I dont have a video camera or I would of filmed it. Even my phone wouldnt of been very clear, but I zoomed it, slow-da-funk-down-mowed it, and his right arm came through Hines Ward to make the catch and thus pick 6. Impossible.

I played a ex with Kat. I had a pick where he went through her WR Kitty Pride style. We laughed about it after because of it's ridiculousness but it was the turning point of the game. Its another example of the priority system.
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Playing offline, if you switch from All Pro to Pro it shows a visual representation of what it is changing. It is all CPU operations and tendencies.

Considering that the vocal majority of us are so displeased with the current game, is it not worth considering lowering the difficulty/
RealJeffSolo
RealJeffSolo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Decisions Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 am

If you feel you've got sufficient proof, I'll second that motion. Cause as it is now I feel like I'm blackout drunk and Madden is the chick I brought home from the bar that I just can't get it up for.

And ain't nobody enjoys whiskey dick.

Bad Decisions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2