4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

The no-console future

Go down

The no-console future

Post by Wiser Time on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Been watching my 3 1/2 year old discover gaming (encouraged by me of course) and it's given me a very new perspective on what the future of the industry looks like. My brief, not-entirely-coherent blog post about it is here. Woulda been a feature for GR if I had time to put it together better, but I don't so here it is. Smile

http://wiser-time-now.blogspot.com/2011/02/end-of-gaming-as-we-know-it.html
Wiser Time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The no-console future

Post by danvitale on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Does OnLive count as a No-Console?

I have been looking at OnLive ever since it's inception, and quite honestly I think it could be brilliant.

In the age where Intel is about to release a bus interface that could scale up to 100 gigabits per second, there is a very high chance we'll have the broadband requirements to make OnLive relevant in a couple of years.
danvitale

View user profile http://www.colinedwards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiser Time on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

danvitale wrote:Does OnLive count as a No-Console?

When I consider the time frame I am discussing - basically 10 years from now - I tend to think no. However, I think it's an interesting paradigm for the near future that, if everything works out right (bandwidth, adoption by developers and publishers and consumers, and overall performance) could rush in the no-console era even quicker. I think the odds are long, but plenty of people thought the iPod was a dumb thing too. All it did was re-invent the music industry.

My main observation is that the concept of tethering two or more devices together to game (i.e. plug a console into a TV plus a controller) is a dead concept walking. I think the only "console" that exists in 2020 is a single device that can be experienced anywhere, can be viewed on a screen or projected on a wall and every step in between, with no other devices as part of it.

In many ways, extending the current smartphone paradigm; I no longer carry a camera, a phone, an MP3 player, books, newspapers, and magazines on my trips anymore. Just my phone and iPad, since it's got all of those. Within a year, the iPad will be the phone too.

Just one device that does it all for gaming.
Wiser Time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevlarAK on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 am

I read your blog post and I have to wonder, do you have a DS or PSP in your house? I ask because I have kids also. I have an iPhone4, PSP-1000, PSP Go, DSx2, and a DSi. My kids eat up our portables. While they like messing around with my iPhone, they go back to the PSP or DS and spend orders of magnitude more time with Nintendo and Sony, than with Apple. I am not totally disagreeing with your stance though, I just do not see something as limited as an iPhone, or iPad for that matter, completely displacing Nintendo and Sony. It would have to be some sort of iteration on Apple's devices.
kevlarAK

View user profile http://www.eskimopie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiser Time on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 am

I have a DS and PSP, but my son wants nothing to do with them. All he understands is touch screen, because he's never known anything other than the iPhone/iPad (he's 3 and a half).

I assume your kids are probably a little older and therefore their first experience was with DS and/or PSP. And I think that's the biggest difference - the youngest gamers are the ones who are going to never really want to play with a controller as they get older since they never had to play with one at the start.

Wiser Time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevlarAK on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 am

On the other hand, as your child gets older and increases in motor control, something like a controller would not seem as daunting as it may have before. I think it is just a matter of time for your children. My son could play PSO and Mario Kart before he could put complete sentences together. Imagine my son's frustration at not being able to communicate how to put a dvd on to his grandma who was babysitting him. Kids pick up on technology incredibly fast. Like I said, it is just a matter of time.
kevlarAK

View user profile http://www.eskimopie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chairman7 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:54 am

Interesting article. It did occur to me that the only no-console future for me is if my gambling debts ever catch up to me and the repo man comes [boom boom]
Chairman7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down