4th String Boards
You have thirty seconds to login before this message self-destructs.

Going for it on 4th Down — The Rights and Wrongs.

Go down

Going for it on 4th Down — The Rights and Wrongs.

Post by toddzuniga on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:26 pm

I went for it on 4th down in a game today. 4th and 6, on my opponents 38. It was the first quarter. Wind was 12 MPH in my face, to the right.

My personal feeling is: 7 yards or less and 40 or closer, and it's a consideration. I'm a field goal get-the-points guy, usually, but with the wind blowing at me at 12 MPH there was no way I could beat that wind.

Is there a standard answer? I think within the 45 is fair-ish game, though the later in the game the better (especially because defense in Madden is a bitch). I think between the 35 and 40, though, it's alright. Right?

Here's something interesting that confirms my belief: http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-4.html

toddzuniga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going for it on 4th Down — The Rights and Wrongs.

Post by uofmcamaro on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I think I'd go for it in that situation too. That would probably be the equivalent of kicking a 63 yarder or so....not going to happen.

uofmcamaro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RealJeffSolo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:29 pm

MEh, in that situation, I would flip a coin.
RealJeffSolo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevlarAK on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:00 am

toddzuniga wrote:I went for it on 4th down in a game today. 4th and 6, on my opponents 38. It was the first quarter. Wind was 12 MPH in my face, to the right.

My personal feeling is: 7 yards or less and 40 or closer, and it's a consideration. I'm a field goal get-the-points guy, usually, but with the wind blowing at me at 12 MPH there was no way I could beat that wind.

Is there a standard answer? I think within the 45 is fair-ish game, though the later in the game the better (especially because defense in Madden is a bitch). I think between the 35 and 40, though, it's alright. Right?

Here's something interesting that confirms my belief: http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-4.html

To__, you made the right call. Looking at the context of where you were in this particular game, you made a sound judgement. When I had a sucky internet connection, I let my opponent know that I would not kick field goals in the game. Not even chip shots because I had missed those before. There are risk/reward opportunities on just about every play. Now, if you went for it on every 4th down throughout the game while running up the score that would be the exact other end of the spectrum. Don't sweat it. What, are you worried about getting kicked out of your own league that YOU started? l0l
kevlarAK

View user profile http://www.eskimopie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum